Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

5 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10)

Post by Mace2theO Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:05 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast #7

Broadway Musicals

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10) MaceoPodcast7cover_Broadway

Musical theatre is a form of theatre combining music, songs, spoken dialogue and dance. The emotional content of the piece – humor, pathos, love, anger – as well as the story itself, is communicated through the words, music, movement and technical aspects of the entertainment as an integrated whole. Since the early 20th century, musical theatre stage works have generally been called simply, "musicals".

The 20th century "book musical" has been defined as a musical play where the songs and dances are fully integrated into a well-made story, with serious dramatic goals, that is able to evoke genuine emotions other than laughter. The three main components of a book musical are the music, the lyrics, and the book. The book of a musical refers to the story – in effect, its spoken (not sung) lines; however, "book" can also refer to the dialogue and lyrics together, which are sometimes referred to (as in opera) as the libretto (Italian for “little book”). The music and lyrics together form the score of the musical. The interpretation of the musical by the creative team of each production heavily influences the way in which the musical is presented. That team includes a director, a musical director, usually a choreographer and sometimes an orchestrator. A musical's production is also creatively characterized by technical aspects, such as set design, costumes, stage properties (props), lighting and sound, which generally change from the original production to succeeding productions. Some famous production elements, however, may be retained from the original production; for example, Bob Fosse's choreography in Chicago (wiki)

Read more
    Code:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?m3ynv32g5le

....about this time, many of you are wondering if Maceo has lost his mind rofl
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10)

Post by purpleblues1 Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:47 pm

well...... far be it for me to comment, but everyone has their "guilty pleasure" drunk2

Not sure what mine is...
    but will give it a listen anyway
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10)

Post by maxim9691 Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Broadway musicals ??¿¿¡!¡!§∞
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:30 am

Oh my goddess....maybe, just maybe I will give it a try..... affraid
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 am

Oh Scoop's goddess! What will this be like? Laughing
    If Maceo likes it, I'm willing to give it a try though! cheers

(I admit, I liked Evita ...)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:02 am

Could be nice, I've seen "Tommy" in Germany almost 15 years ago (actually seen it twice, my girlfriend back then had a part in the musical), then again Tommy was originally created by The Who with Elton John (if I'm not mistaken), so it was quite rocky and enjoyable...
    I'll check it out!
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 am

"Tommy" turned into a Broadway musical much later ...

Well before the arrival of Elton John, it was a concept album by The Who, from a time when concept albums didn't yet have to be prog rock Laughing
    It's a nice collection of rocky songs, with some weird story line running through it. I listened to it on the train once, and it was quite enjoyable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:52 am

There's actually a song from "Tommy" (pinball wizard) on this webcast...I think from the original Tommy album?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 am

Fastastic webcast, Maceo!! The history of musicals from the craddle to present days, a lot of fun to listen to!
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:17 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:"Tommy" turned into a Broadway musical much later ...

Well before the arrival of Elton John, it was a concept album by The Who, from a time when concept albums didn't yet have to be prog rock Laughing
    It's a nice collection of rocky songs, with some weird story line running through it. I listened to it on the train once, and it was quite enjoyable.

The Who's Tommy was the first "rock opera" and it appeared only as an album originally (as did JCS a year later). It was made into a film with Elton John et al in the 70's and a re-recorded soundtrack. It finally made it to Broadway in the early 90's.

It's positioned in the webcast order based on the date of the album's issue (1969) to reflect it's influence on what followed in terms of using rock.

The track itself is Pete Townsend's demo
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:18 pm

Electricecnirp wrote:Fastastic webcast, Maceo!! The history of musicals from the craddle to present days, a lot of fun to listen to!

Cool Thanks Electricecnirp! Glad you enjoyed the ride!
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:

If Maceo likes it, I'm willing to give it a try though! cheers

That's all a humble podcaster can ask! Very Happy
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

fkkScoop wrote:Oh my goddess....maybe, just maybe I will give it a try..... affraid

Don't be afraid...you are even name-checked before one of the songs Very Happy
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 pm

Maceo's introduction to Show tunes

For Scoop
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I listened all the way through!! In one go (as my bus didn't turn up)

True, a few times I thought oh-no-what-is-this (!), but most of the time I really enjoyed it. In fact, these songs suited the summery sunshine mood here in Aberystwyth quite well. I prefered the early 60s and 70s bit. The more modern stuff was sometime a bit hit and miss, but I got into too.
    You sounded like you know a lot about these things - being introduced to it chronologically was definitely part of the fun too!! (the question remains: what happened in the 1980s??)
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:

You sounded like you know a lot about these things - being introduced to it chronologically was definitely part of the fun too!! (the question remains: what happened in the 1980s??)

Andrew Lloyd Webber and $$$$$$ rofl....in my opinion.

Sorry your bus didn't show, but glad you enjoyed
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:01 am

Mace2theO wrote:Maceo Musicology Webcast #7

Broadway Musicals

Maceo Musicology Webcast (April 10) MaceoPodcast7cover_Broadway

The Terminator Musical? I wanna see and hear it Very Happy
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:48 am

purpleblues1 wrote:well...... far be it for me to comment, but everyone has their "guilty pleasure" drunk2

Not sure what mine is...

Think that his could be one! ! !
    Caught singing along to Louis Armstrong! Cool

amazing that I remember the words - misspent youth not that misspent after all.
    One of my earliest music memories was listening to a documentary about him on my parent's Steam Radio .
    That radiogram introduced me to the wonderful world of the blues, courtesy of the late, great Alexis Korner, then the Saturday Rock shows of Alan Freeman, The Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance and the ever expanding world of John Peel each night... Nostalgia , it ain't what it used to be (sic)
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 am

purpleblues1 wrote:
    purpleblues1 wrote:well...... far be it for me to comment, but everyone has their "guilty pleasure" drunk2

Not sure what mine is...

Think that his could be one! ! !
    Caught singing along to Louis Armstrong! Cool

amazing that I remember the words - misspent youth not that misspent after all.
    One of my earliest music memories was listening to a documentary about him on my parent's Steam Radio .
    That radiogram introduced me to the wonderful world of the blues, courtesy of the late, great Alexis Korner, then the Saturday Rock shows of Alan Freeman, The Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance and the ever expanding world of John Peel each night... Nostalgia , it ain't what it used to be (sic)

Most of the early songs are songs I remember from misspent youth - not going to Broadway plays, but watching all those TV variety shows with my parents, when the musical guests were more likely to be Louis Armstrong and Peggy Lee than the Rolling Stones.

It's scary how you remember some of the words
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Listening now and digging it.
    Big spender....big time classic & of course I've got rhythm.
    Great idea for a podcast.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I really like the Spring Awakening. Never heard of it , the female vocalist's voice is gorgeous. I wonder if there'll be any music from Miss Saigon? My favourite musical and Lea Salonga's voice is exquisite!
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Tahiti = a musical fan?
    Looks like Maceo is going to give him a bagful of funkpoints!!!
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:Tahiti = a musical fan?
    Looks like Maceo is going to give him a bagful of funkpoints!!!

At least 2 bagfuls!!!!

Thanks for listening Tahiti Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Laughing Actually I'm female.
    I'm listening with great pleasure now to the New orleans one.
    Now all we need is a saxophone smilie.
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Wed May 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:I listened all the way through!! In one go (as my bus didn't turn up)

True, a few times I thought oh-no-what-is-this (!), but most of the time I really enjoyed it. In fact, these songs suited the summery sunshine mood here in Aberystwyth quite well. I prefered the early 60s and 70s bit. The more modern stuff was sometime a bit hit and miss, but I got into too.

Fame... Flashdance... ???
    an outbreak of Andrew Lloyd Webber disease?

or perhaps Maceo didn't like Miss Saigon or Les Miserables??

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm