Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

+4
Ymaginatif
darkcloud1721
CKJ505
Mace2theO
8 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition)

Post by Mace2theO Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:18 pm

This might get me in trouble, but here it goes:

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition) - Artist Showcase

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition) 84b48f52

At the risk of being banned, yes, I like Michael Jackson. Coming out of the closet here on the Forum so to speak. "Don't hate me 'cuz I'm beautiful"

Why? As Maxim says, it’s all about context, and I was a kid when the Jackson 5 came out. Later, when I became a P fan, one couldn’t help but notice the similarities. Both are Black American, both were born in 1958 and both owned the 80’s. More importantly, they both re-defined what “cross-over” meant for a black artist.

However, there is one key difference: MJ was an Entertainer who could do some music; P is a Musician who can do some entertaining. This is a big difference (to me).

Setting aside all that King of Pop &%*$, it is enough that MJ set the standard for being a child star and graduating to an adult musical artist. Many had failed before him, and yes the Beatles had achieved it musically, but the teen idols (who were actually teens or younger themselves, unlike the Beatles) rarely made the transition. Justin T, George Michael and Robbie Williams all followed the model. We’ll see how it goes for Justin Beiber and Miley.

Finally, of course, Maceo is fascinated by non-musicians who can make songs. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Special Edition) 482452

So I felt nothing but dread when it was announced there would be a new Michael Jackson album, to be released next week. Posthumous works are very tricky - either you: 1) present the material basically as it was found, in its demo or outtake form or 2) try to complete the "artist's vision" based on some combination of instructions and intuition. Either way comes with its own set of challenges and issues.

The preferred option for me is #1. Whether Beatles Anthology or Jimi Hendrix's back catalogue, 90% of the best "post" releases contained music as originally recorded. Jackson's This is It was presented as a rehearsal, instead of some new post-production CGI concert. Even living artist like P (The Vault, Crystal Ball) and Bruce Springsteen (Promises) choose to label back catalogue music as such, without going back to add instruments and present it as new.

Perhaps the new album will offer more, but I really wish they would have instead put together a nice rarities mix of demos, unreleased and such, and just labelled as so. If the artist is not around the finish the music, I would rather hear what they were thinking, rather than some producer after the fact.

Just my old man rant for the day

btw, as I said, my MJish goes back to the J5. This is the J5 audition for Motown. As you can see below, Motown took an already funky little boy and reigned him in to be a less funky pop star.