Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

2 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed)

Post by Mace2theO Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed)
    (re-ordered, with different tracks added to increase the funk factor)

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 7ceedf3d

Passport
    Even now, only about 22 percent of Americans have
    passports, while in many Western European countries the number is much
    higher—reaching 71 percent in the United Kingdom. But as the world
    shrinks, the numbers of Americans working and studying outside of the
    country is rising. In 2006–07, more than 241,000 Americans studied
    abroad, up from less than 100,000 who did so a decade earlier. The State
    Department estimates that more than 5 million Americans live overseas.
    (source: Newsweek)

Groove
    Groove is the sense of
    propulsive rhythmic "feel" or sense of "swing" created by the
    interaction of the music played by a band's rhythm section (drums,
    electric bass or double bass, guitar, and keyboards). The term is mainly
    used in the context of genres outside of Western art music, such as
    funk, rock music, power groove, fusion, and soul. The word is often used
    to describe the aspect of certain music that makes one want to move,
    dance, or 'groove'. (wiki)

I've been lucky enough to do some travelling and I like to visit cd stores wherever I go. What's fun is after picking up some jazz and native music, I always ask for some pop music by a native artist. When they ask me what I like or listen to, I always mention Prince. Much of this playlist is what was given to me as a result. Quite a variety in funk...just like a Prince album

Tracklist
    1. Building - Blk Sonshine (South Africa)
    Masauko Chipembere and Neo Muyanga are the duo that comprise Blk Sonshine. They combine their guitar-playing skills, songwriting talents, sweet voices and eclectic influences (Malawian/American and Botswanan/South African) to blend rock, soul, and folk with their native kwaito (SA hip hop) and kwela for a beautiful song. This is just one of many cool songs on their debut album.

2. Ultra-Funk - Los Amigos Invisibles (Venezuela)
    Los Amigos Invisibles formed in Caracas, Venezuela in the early 1990s as an answer to the lack of variety offered by the "rocker" and dark acts that flooded their city's theaters and radio waves. Instantly becoming Venezuela's only "dance band," they began a crusade to convince the owners of forgotten discothèques that dance is not only salsa and merengue and that electric guitar does not have to be "Punk." Offering their friends a more enjoyable outlet for partying, Los Amigos Invisibles quickly reinvented the club scene in Caracas.

3. Latin Funk - Cecilia Toussaint (Mexico)
    Cecilia Toussaint is a Mexican singer and actress, born the same year as Prince. She has starred in soap operas and been nominated for a Latin Grammy. This little funky jam has a cool little horns/keys break that comes out into a nice guitar riff

4. Time - China (France)
    China Moses is a singer and TV presenter in France. She is the daughter of jazz singer Dee Dee Bridgewater. This song has serious bassline laying down the funk courtesy of Me'shell Ndegeocello

5. Veneno da Lata [Part Especial] - Fernanda Abreu (Brazil)
    Fernanda was born and raised in Rio. Her first notable public appearance was the backing vocal of the band Blitz until 1986. After that, in 1990, she started a solo career singing funk, disco and dance music. Her second album, SLA2/Be Sample (1992), was one of the earliest Brazilian pop records to extensively employ the sampler. Since then, Abreu has been considered the first lady of Brazilian funk. This song has a nice funky groove tinged with brazilian sunshine.

6.Laag Bij de Grond - Bløf (Netherlands)
    BLØF is an award-winning four-piece Dutch rock band from Vlissingen, the Netherlands, which has become popular regionally and internationally for its music, its frequent collaborations with bands from other parts of the world, willingness to incorporate other genres into their "sound", and focus on bettering the world around them. This song is a good example of their musical ethos, as they collaborate with Femi Kuti to add a Nigerian funk break to this rocker.

7. Color (Funk Flamenco) - Ojos De Brujo (Spain)
    Ojos de Brujo ("Eyes of the Sorcerer" in English) is a nine-piece band from Barcelona. While flamenco is clearly central to their sound, they perform it with the diverse musical genres of today like funk, hip hop and pop to modernize the sound. Usually the focus of Ojos' songs are the vocals by Marina Abad, which move smoothly from gritty flamenco wail to authoritative rapping.

8. La Chanson Des Mythos - Lulu Hughes (Quebec)
    Lulu is from Quebec, Canada and has a powerful voice. I first heard of her when I saw her live as part of a benefit show. She rocked a cover of 'Helter Skelter' so I knew she was my kind of girl. From her debut album, this is a nice little dance tune.

9. Beware of the Boys (Mundian to Bach Ke) - Panjabi MC (India/UK)
    Panjabi MC (born Rajinder Rai) is a UK Indian artist who made a splash when his single “Mundian To Bach Ke” took the world by storm. ”Bach Ke” became the first Punjabi rap song to have mainstream success in the US and Europe.

10.Mercy (Roots Remix) - Duffy (Wales)
    After gaining critical praise for her debut offering Rockferry, Welsh singer Duffy entered into an unlikely collaboration with ?uestlove and the legendary Roots-crew that started with ?uestlove's remix of her 2008 international hit "Mercy".

11. Votan Wahnwitz - Udo Lindenberg (Germany)
    Udo Lindenberg is a German rock musician and composer. who started his career as a drummer. His breakthrough album Andrea Doria in 1973 sold over 100,000 copies sold, and Lindenberg quickly received the largest record deal of any German-language musician up to that time. This funky little groove has some nice clavinet and Clare-Fisher-esque strings.

12. I Am What I Am, Pt. 1 & Pt. 2 - Osaka Monaurail, featuring Marva Whitney (Japan)
    Osaka Monaurail (オーサカ-モノレール) is a funk music band, formed in Osaka, Japan. With their synced trumpet spinning and dance steps, they are one of the tightest and hottest live funk bands you'll ever see. If you didn't know better you would think you are listening to the JB's.

13. Le Ragazze Fanno Grandi Sogni - Edoardo Bennato (Italy)
    Edoardo Bennato was born in Naples,and his music distinguished itself for being an imaginative blend of blues, rock'n'roll, folk influences and even hints of opera. Bennato often performs songs by himself as a one-man band, with a 12-string acoustic guitar, harmonica, kazoo and foot-drum.

Bonus Track: Nothing Compares 2 U ('A'OHE LIKE ME 'OE) - Daniel Ho & the Coconutz (Hawaii)
    Like most of the world, this was a pleasant little surprise at the end of 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' ("I'm doing a handstand, MF'er")

http://www.mediafire.com/?b406ddnnvh6d3c5

Reviews for the original (used without permission Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 765994 )

Ymaginatif wrote:GREAT podcast! I enjoyed this one from top to bottom, left to right and even diagonally!!!

Thanks for the shout-out! I expected some Belgian schlager, but I see I can also represent Wales?! Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 765994 Rather a good song - Duffy (or whatever her name is)?

Tahiti wrote:Thanks. I really liked the first song the most of the SA singer.
    In the middle the one which starts with the childrens' voices is also nice.
    Actually
    I'd love to hear an entire podcast of African chanting/singing gospel.
    Like blood diamond's Soweto children's choir I believe with Youssou
    n'dour and James Newton Howard for the classical aspects. That music is
    really something.

Talking Christian music. Do you know Can you
    feel the rhythm of Heaven by Vineyard? It's a really nice funky
    Christian song. My sister sent me their cd.

maxim9691 wrote:Listening to it right now and it's FLY <<< maxim doesn't use slang, so it must be really good Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 236716

fkkScoop wrote:So, now I have listen to it entirely...
    And I like it!
    Udo Lindenberg? Ha!
    It´s VERY international and that´s cool, cause their are no borders for music!
    Ah delicious mix of - old&new and never heard&already listen to - music!
    It sounds like fun and I enjoy the whole ride around the world (in 58 minutes)!

And I guess you had a lot fun during the making of it! Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 482452

Next please Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) 317468

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) B05e2111

Last edited by Mace2theO on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed)

Post by maxim9691 Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:28 pm

Recommendation:Mace have you thought about releasing an album containing the tracks for each Webcast at one of your blogs ?
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast #9 - Passport Groove (EQ'd & Remixed)

Post by Mace2theO Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:46 am

maxim9691 wrote:Recommendation:Mace have you thought about releasing an album containing the tracks for each Webcast at one of your blogs ?

I hadn't thought about. My initial thinking was using some of the better individual tracks from the podcasts as a source for Funk Fridays. At the moment want to get all the podcasts and tracklists up on the webcast site over the next couple weeks.

Good idea to then put together albums of some of the better ones...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am