Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

+2
purpleblues1
Mace2theO
6 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10)

Post by Mace2theO Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10)

Maceo's Passport Groove

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10) MaceoPodcast9_Passportx150

Passport
    Even now, only about 22 percent of Americans have passports, while in many Western European countries the number is much higher—reaching 71 percent in the United Kingdom. But as the world shrinks, the numbers of Americans working and studying outside of the country is rising. In 2006–07, more than 241,000 Americans studied abroad, up from less than 100,000 who did so a decade earlier. The State Department estimates that more than 5 million Americans live overseas. (source: Newsweek)

Groove
    Groove is the sense of propulsive rhythmic "feel" or sense of "swing" created by the interaction of the music played by a band's rhythm section (drums, electric bass or double bass, guitar, and keyboards). The term is mainly used in the context of genres outside of Western art music, such as funk, rock music, power groove, fusion, and soul. The word is often used to describe the aspect of certain music that makes one want to move, dance, or 'groove'.

While some musicians have called the concept of "groove" a subjective and elusive notion, they acknowledge that the concept is well-understood by experienced musicians at a practical, intuitive level. Funk and Latin musicians refer to "groove" as the sense of being "in the pocket", and jazz players refer to groove as the sense that a jam session is really "cooking" or "swinging."

Musicologists and other scholars began to analyze the concept of "groove" in the 1990s. They have argued that a "groove" is an "understanding of rhythmic patterning" or "feel" and "an intuitive sense" of "a cycle in motion" that emerges from "carefully aligned concurrent rhythmic patterns" that sets in motion dancing or foot-tapping on the part of listeners. (wiki)

Read more

Last edited by Mace2theO on Wed May 12, 2010 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10)

Post by purpleblues1 Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 pm

interesting concept..
    the "Groove" as a passport, or badge of identity accepted by foreign governments as proof hat you are a citizen...
    can't wait to hear this
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm

purpleblues1 wrote:interesting concept..
    the "Groove" as a passport, or badge of identity accepted by foreign governments as proof hat you are a citizen...
    can't wait to hear this

The Groove unites us all Cool

As George said, "One Nation..." Very Happy
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 pm

One of my habits when travelling is to collect the cd bags....these are a few

Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10) Passportgroove_b
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 am

Lets check....

Did I have a Passport?
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 am

Ah, it's that time of the month again! Great to have a new thematic Maceo-cast! cheers

But where will I find the time to listen to it, in between 6 hours of cherries and some 4 hours of newly leaked Paul McCartney tracks???
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Thu May 13, 2010 9:58 am

Ymaginatif wrote:Ah, it's that time of the month again! Great to have a new thematic Maceo-cast! cheers

But where will I find the time to listen to it, in between 6 hours of cherries and some 4 hours of newly leaked Paul McCartney tracks???

You'd better drop that PM stuff on me or face ban
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 13, 2010 10:07 am

Looking forward to it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 15, 2010 11:42 am

Silly me. I didn't see the link, came back checking for it and noticed it had already been posted.
    jocolor

Am downloading and you'll have my report soon!
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Sat May 15, 2010 3:22 pm

GREAT podcast! I enjoyed this one from top to bottom, left to right and even diagonally!!!

Thanks for the shout-out! I expected some Belgian schlager, but I see I can also represent Wales?! Laughing Rather a good song - Duffy (or whatever her name is)?
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Sat May 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:GREAT podcast! I enjoyed this one from top to bottom, left to right and even diagonally!!!

Thanks for the shout-out! I expected some Belgian schlager, but I see I can also represent Wales?! Laughing Rather a good song - Duffy (or whatever her name is)?

AS Alice says "Bless", not knowing who Duffy is.... pay attention at the back there!! Cool
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Sat May 15, 2010 5:56 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:GREAT podcast! I enjoyed this one from top to bottom, left to right and even diagonally!!!

Given I did not mention Duffy by name, you've done well to recognise your current hometown girl Very Happy

I covered Wales and Netherland, but am quite happy for you to forward some Belgium funk for next time

Very very very pleased you enjoyed. Maceo Musicology Webcast (May '10) 264578

Did you catch the guest appearances of Mrs Microphone sing
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Sat May 15, 2010 5:58 pm

fkkScoop wrote:Lets check....

Did I have a Passport?

Hmmm....no word from scoop yet big think
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Sun May 16, 2010 2:34 am

will be reviewing this along with the sunday papers later.
    did mange a review of Cherries 2, but am feeling a little despondent as no one's read it.. scared
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Sun May 16, 2010 4:38 am

Mace2theO wrote:
    fkkScoop wrote:Lets check....

Did I have a Passport?

Hmmm....no word from scoop yet big think

TIME, where is it?????

Tomorrow I guess/hope.....sorry....
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon May 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks. I really liked the first song the most of the SA singer.
    In the middle the one which starts with the childrens' voices is also nice.
    Actually I'd love to hear an entire podcast of African chanting/singing gospel. Like blood diamond's Soweto children's choir I believe with Youssou n'dour and James Newton Howard for the classical aspects. That music is really something.

Talking Christian music. Do you know Can you feel the rhythm of Heaven by Vineyard? It's a really nice funky Christian song. My sister sent me their cd.
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Mon May 17, 2010 1:55 pm

pm me the track and I'll check it out

Thank for listening Very Happy

Sounds like you already have a theme for your first podcast Cool
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Mon May 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Only checked the first 14 minutes and must say:
    What a &%*$....

No! Just kidding!!!
    The First Track is the bomb!!!

Try to hear the rest tomorrow...
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Tue May 18, 2010 9:10 am

Listening to it right now and it's FLY <<< maxim doesn't use slang, so it must be really good Cool
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 am

So, now I have listen to it entirely...
    And I like it!
    Udo Lindenberg? Ha!
    It´s VERY international and that´s cool, cause their are no borders for music!
    Ah delicious mix of - old&new and never heard&already listen to - music!
    It sounds like fun and I enjoy the whole ride around the world (in 58 minutes)!

And I guess you had a lot fun during the making of it! Very Happy

Next please please
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Tahiti wrote:Thanks. I really liked the first song the most of the SA singer.
    In the middle the one which starts with the childrens' voices is also nice.
    Actually I'd love to hear an entire podcast of African chanting/singing gospel. Like blood diamond's Soweto children's choir I believe with Youssou n'dour and James Newton Howard for the classical aspects. That music is really something.

Talking Christian music. Do you know Can you feel the rhythm of Heaven by Vineyard? It's a really nice funky Christian song. My sister sent me their cd.

maxim9691 wrote:Listening to it right now and it's FLY <<< maxim doesn't use slang, so it must be really good Cool

fkkScoop wrote:So, now I have listen to it entirely...
    And I like it!
    Udo Lindenberg? Ha!
    It´s VERY international and that´s cool, cause their are no borders for music!
    Ah delicious mix of - old&new and never heard&already listen to - music!
    It sounds like fun and I enjoy the whole ride around the world (in 58 minutes)!

And I guess you had a lot fun during the making of it! Very Happy

Next please please

cheers Wow, thanks everyone....honored that it even made Maxim use slang cheers

I know the themes can be a bit hit or miss, depending on your tastes, so many thanks for the encouragement Very Happy
    jaytap
    jaytap

Post by jaytap Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm

must have missed this one, how careless of me.
    thanks Maceo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm