Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

4 posters

Toney Mosley (May 26, 2006)

maxim9691
    maxim9691

Toney Mosley (May 26, 2006) Empty Toney Mosley (May 26, 2006)

Post by maxim9691 Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 am

Interviewed by True Prince Stories

Q & A With Tony Mosley (aka Tony M)
    May 26, 2006

Q: What are you up to these days?

A: Well, I’m married with 2 beautiful children, a boy and girl ages 4 & 6, so needless to say that they keep me very busy. I’m also an Account Manager at a marketing firm.

Q: How did you hook up with Prince?

A: I was an extra on the set of Purple Rain. During one of the lighting changes, he caught us doing some dance routines and he asked Alan Leeds to give us a tape of 7 songs, then he asked if we would be ready to film the next day. So we worked until around 1AM and had to be on the set at 6:30AM, we were exhausted, but it was our 1st break and we didn’t want to blow it.

Q: What is your favorite Prince album?

A: Black Album, Sign of the Times

Q: Have you heard Prince’s 3121 album, and what do you think of it?

A: Creative, he’s gone back to doing what he does best, being an innovator.

Q: Best Prince Drummer?

A: Without a doubt Michael Bland, but I’m partial with Sheila E running a close 2nd, because she was blowing up at that time and even though we were just dancers, she always treated us nicely and I respect her for that.

Q: How and when did you get in the music business?

A: It all started while performing in dance contests at First Avenue and kind of blossomed from there. I remember that I couldn’t make up my mind to either re-enlist in the Marine Corps for another 4 years or give the music business a chance. Needless to say, I chose the music industry.

Q: Favorite TV Show?

A: Currently it’s 24, I love that show!!!!

Q: What are you most proud of?

A: Being a husband and father to my wife/kids and never looking back after I left the band. I’ve been asked so many times, where have you been, how come you don’t attend any of the party’s/events. Really, the bottom line is that I needed some time away from the scene and decompress, when you’re in the business, you tend to lose perspective on what’s really important in life (family, friends) because you’re so focused on your career and being successful. When I left, I found out who my real friends were and it gave me an opportunity to narrow my circle of influence and concentrate on what I wanted to do in life and not on what everyone else thought that I should do.

I’ve always been an individual who really didn’t care about what others thought, I pretty much did my own thing and others followed. I began finding my self absorbed in what others thought of my work and found myself constantly frustrated trying to please others, so I think stepping back actually help me find myself again.

Q: Favorite tour and why?

A: Diamonds and Pearls, because it was my 1st US tour. I enjoyed the Nude tour, but that was in Europe and my family and friends were not able to see that one.

Q: Best Prince Moment?

A: I have a few, but I’ll save those for my next installment. Stay tuned!!!

Thank you, Tony
    ElCyC
    ElCyC

Toney Mosley (May 26, 2006) Empty Re: Toney Mosley (May 26, 2006)

Post by ElCyC Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:36 am

Sounds like a very down to earth guy (see remarks of what he's most proud of) - that's refreshing to hear in the music business (and for that in any kind of business)

Didn't really like his contributions though in the past
    Although still glad I bought the Goldnigga album after the concert - still like it

E.
    Jfrost
    Jfrost

Post by Jfrost Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 am

I liked this little interview also!
    But it has to be recognized that Tony M helped evolve the music of Prince.
    You might not like his contribution but at the time Prince needed foils which he got plenty of in the first incarnation of the NPG.

The live set up was as different from The Revolution tours as you could get, with gospel singers, hip-hop dancers and rap!!!

I'm glad that Tony is doing his own thing now but I appreciate his work on Diamonds & pearls and 0(+>.

Thanks Tony! Cool (not that you'll ever read this)
    ElCyC
    ElCyC

Post by ElCyC Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:36 am

I fail to see it but you might be right : every "era" and every collaborator added something to P's music

just in terms of rap imo Prince already did it before : dead on it of course was a stab at rap but was also rap, irresistible b**** was for me one of his first raps, esp. if you take the raw demo version

in terms of band I was more comparing to the era before with the SOTT and Lovesexy bands, after that the Nude performance came to me as a shock
    I think my favourite bands were the SOTT one, the 1995 NPG era and the ONA tour one but that's another topic

bye

E.
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Tony M was one of the essential ingredients in convincing me, a rap-hater back in those days, of the enjoyablity of Prince music!

So at least I should at least thank him for at least that!! Laughing

I love him

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:46 am