Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

3 posters

USB Studio Mics?

johnnypizzle
    johnnypizzle

USB Studio Mics? Empty USB Studio Mics?

Post by johnnypizzle Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:42 pm

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this but here goes...

I know some of you do a bit of studio recording. Well, a friend of mine records tracks at his home studio, and has sent me a bunch of them to write and add vocals to. My question is regarding studio mics. I want to buy a USB mic that will plug into my computer and allow me to record high quality vocals on my computer. I asked my friend about USB mics but he doesn't really know anything about them. as he uses his own proper recording studio. Does anyone know anything about these or have experience with them? I found one called the MXL USB7 that records in both mono and stereo that seems reasonably priced. I would like input about any others if you have it. Thanks.
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

USB Studio Mics? Empty Re: USB Studio Mics?

Post by maxim9691 Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:59 pm

I've always used the standard mic audio jack plugged directly into mixing board and sometimes straight into the computer.

Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:10 am

I've never used USB microphones either ... But like Maxim said: computers can also take normal jack-plugged microphones (you probably need an adaptor to make it a small jack plug).

I recorded taht way for a number of years (before I had a separate multi-track recorder), and it is tricky to get the balance right. It involved quite a bit of fiddling with virtual knobs so that the input volume was loud enough + the buzz was low enough. In the end, I bought a small pre-amp, just to have a stronger mic-signal going in. I never managed to fully control the buzz ...
    But you'd have the same 'problems' to iron out with a USB mic, I gather.

OK, once you've sorted it out, you can record some vocals for me as well! cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content