Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

3 posters

Audio Equipment Test

CKJ505
    CKJ505

Audio Equipment Test Empty Audio Equipment Test

Post by CKJ505 Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:27 am

I am at a stage of near perfection with Audio at home, well I think I am.

Perfection would be linking my amp to the PC with optical cable which I intend doing in the near future.

My query is:

Can anyone come up with a list of 5 to 10 Songs - Instrumentations - Pieces of music that they think could test a music system to show it's full potential.

Choices can come from anywhere, Studio Recordings, Live Recordings, Movie Clips, Advertisments, the list is endless....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The initial quality of the song does not matter, but the choice of song itself does. Better quality can be sought after at a later stage.

Looking forward to see what the Entropy Music Community can come up with....[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Audio Equipment Test Empty Bink Audio Test CD

Post by maxim9691 Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 am

OK, I have two things for you- here is the first.
    Below is what the creator of this free CD has to say about it
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I was always unhappy working in live sound with the usual recording studio or home audio test CDs I've seen in the last 20 years so I made one of my own. I believe it is better suited than most for the Live Sound mixer to carry around.

Do you have a fast internet connection? You're in luck! You can download the Bink Audio Test CD from a mirror set up by Bennett Prescott of Campus PA. Here's the full collection of zipped WAV files -- this single download is 423 MB and will take anywhere from 40 minutes to 2 hours, depending on your speed.

Track List
    Left Right
    Left Right Center Surround
    700/1000Hz Dual Tone
    700Hz
    1000Hz
    Log Sweep
    Linear Sweep
    80Hz warble
    100Hz warble
    120Hz warble
    16Hz
    20Hz
    25Hz
    31.5Hz
    40Hz
    50Hz
    60Hz
    63Hz
    70Hz
    80Hz
    90Hz
    100Hz
    125Hz
    160Hz
    200Hz
    250Hz
    315Hz
    400Hz
    500Hz
    630Hz
    800Hz
    1250Hz
    1600Hz
    2000Hz
    2500Hz
    3150Hz
    4000Hz
    5000Hz
    6300Hz
    8kHz
    10kHz
    12.5kHz
    16kHz
    20kHz
    Piano A 440
    stereo piano solo
    stereo drum solo
    120bpm metronome
    Crest Wave
    DC offset 10%
    DC offset 100%
    1kHz inverted polarity
    1kHz -60dBFS
    1khz Square -2dBFS
    1kHz Square 0dBFS
    White Noise
    440Hz 20 minutes
    Pink Noise 20 minutes
    Digital Silence

Download Test CD parts 1 & 2
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Another one on the way
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Audio Equipment Test Empty Re: Audio Equipment Test

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:52 am

120Hz warble and Pink Noise 20 minutes are my two favorite tracks on that!
    I have them on my ipod.

You're way beyond my knowledge and interest in sound. In the end, when a soundsystem has finally reached its audio-perfection, you'll have to adjust it compenmsate for the partial deafness most of us are probably already dealing with Laughing

That being said, if someone gives me a Bose sound-system, I wouldn't say no to that! Laughing
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Audio Equipment Test Empty NuForce Sound Recording CD

Post by maxim9691 Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:06 pm

This is really the most useful of the two and should be had by anyone who wants a balanced system.
    I do have one tip for final tuning - after setting up your home theatre system the way you want it. Put a pair of head phones on and adjust the volume until the level of the headphones is equal to the volume of the system and one doesn't seem louder or softer, than the other.
    By doing this you can gain a uniform sound when wearing headphones results in you hearing some of the sounds that are lost by the echo of the room.

-----------------------------
    We all know that music speaks to our emotions. This guide sets out to demonstrate the difference superior sound can make. Purely in terms of quality, once you become aware of various sonic and spatial distinctions, be they ever so subtle, you will all the more relish the music you love.
    Music tracks that highlight clarity, dynamics, resolution, soundstage and timbre
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Good stereo creates an illusion. The better the stereo, the better the illusion, specifically a perception of harmonically rich, lifelike sounds occurring a real-life space. The guidelines and questions accompanying these tracks will help you appreciate the rewards superior sound delivers.
    Recordings are 24/96
    Drum Dynamics, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz.

This track demonstrates a largely misunderstood term: dynamics. Any boombox can play loud. A good stereo’s dynamics range from feather-soft to thunder-clap loud. The metal and drums (skins and rims) reveal a system’s ability to convey lightning-swift transients.
    Cello Tonality, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz.

Good stereo allows you to appreciate this 300-year-old cello’s unique timbre and rich resonance.
    Piano Tonality, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

This intimate yet remarkably powerful recording is especially revealing of the Fazioli piano’s percussive attacks, overtones and decays, and most especially, of its soul-stirring middle and lower range.
    Jazz Plucked Bass, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz
    Classical Plucked Bass, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Apart from both instruments’ rich fundamentals and warm overtones, can you detect differences with respect to their individual character?
    Vocal Tonality, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Her sibilants should have a natural rather than “spitty” character. You should also have a sense of the singer’s physical body – lips, tongue, throat, lungs and chest. The human voice via good stereo can be very seductive.
    Asian Flute, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

A brilliant yet distant, soulful and spacious sound, the result perhaps of applied reverberation?
    Binaural Tonality, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

You should experience a strong sense of left-right separation in an intimate setting yet with no sense of a hole in the middle of the soundstage.
    Complex Tonal Resolution, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

. In contrast to the above, the flute and guitar appear to occupy the space between the speakers in yet another intimate setting.
    Outdoor Ambience, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Does the band seem to be playing in an acoustically ideal space? – a well designed performance shell perhaps? Pay particular attention to location within the soundfield.
    Outdoor spaciousness, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Have you a sense of the trumpets’ knife-edged brilliance playing into the open air?
    Harmonic Group Unity, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Here we have an excellent example of a fully occupied, harmonically luxuriant soundfield. Our table in this jazz club isn’t very far from the band.
    Tonal Delicacy, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Note the swift attacks and the harmonics they produce. Our proximity to the guitarist permits us to hear this beautiful instrument’s every intricate aspect.
    Complex Tonal Purity, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

Do you hear this performance as entirely natural or artificially enhanced? You should be getting better at this.
    Ensemble Power, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

A hard-driving performance you can almost feel in your chest. Does the band seem to be indoors or outdoors?
    Exotic Percussion, 4608 Kbps / 96KHz

A perfect demonstration of sharp attacks, rich overtones, authoritative bass, and long, elegant fades into space.

These tracks may be freely distributed in its entiretyonly with attribution to Nuforce. The album art file must be included with the distribution.
    Download this Free Test CD which is in Two Parts
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Excellent work Maxim... Very Happy

Best reply to a query, now for the download (s) ... Very Happy

Again thank you
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Ok it's going to take a while, I am intrigued to see what is going to come out of my speakers.... Smile

Got the 1st part, really for the audio experts with all ranges of KHz just squeeks and rumbles with odd sections of nothing.

I like the term digital silence.

Ok I got the 2nd instalment. This is a must to listen to in high quality, and I mean a must. stereo

Some amazing sounds bouncing around the room.

The oddest thing...I had a glass of water in my hand and it vibrated during the 16bit sweep, strange but it did.

I really whacked up the volume on the second listen, crystal clear with tonal depths that I never heard before.

These clips are way above what I expected. big grin

I beg all EMC'rs to get these and give them a listen.

For a minute I thought Purple Blues wrote the introducing commentary by the dude on the microphone.

Nice to hear a cable car kicking off an outdoor ensemble. Wonderful sounds. cheers

Last edited by CKJ505 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Additional Update)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:43 pm