Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

3 posters

Is it the end of the Desktop PC?

CKJ505
    CKJ505

Is it the end of the Desktop PC? Empty Is it the end of the Desktop PC?

Post by CKJ505 Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 am

I noticed over the last few months that some of my friends, working buddies and general people in my neighbourhood have switched to the tablet and smartphone interface as a way to get around the net, any files they have are saved to various clouds etc...

With that in mind, how long will the Desktop PC last?, I know of some companies who have switched to the tablet format to make their life easier as they can bring their tablet to the work directly instead of inputting information into a PC at a later date.

I still like the PC with an "actual" keyboard.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Soundwise, a tablet does not have a great 'sound card' thus loosing that perfect sound that we all strive for through an amp / hi-fi system.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I seen Entropy through the 3rd eye of an Ipad - looks totally different with no graphics, maybe I missed something when using the Safari browser....Embarassed

Probably the best option is an ultrabook, both a tablet and laptop.
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Is it the end of the Desktop PC? Empty Re: Is it the end of the Desktop PC?

Post by Ymaginatif Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am

My guess is that tablet and desktop will morph into one at some point.

Take your desktop screen and put it flat on the table. Then swipe with your fingers across it ... You know what I mean.

I don't think they'll ever develop an unscreen keyboard that'll feel as comfortable as the plastic key thing.
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Thu May 02, 2013 8:00 am

I don't think that the Desktop will disappear entirely due to better performance over other devices.
    But I do think the Laptop will take more of the marketplace, like it has been doing.

A Tablet is just way to limited to be used for any serious programing/gaming.
    Plus, Laptops/Desktops can harbor much larger Hard drives not including numerous other cost effect expansions the average user can do at home.

Tablets/E-Reader's memory are basically non-expandable and even those that have SD/USB slots are still limited compared to a dedicated computer.
    As Electronic history shows, Devices that cannot expand have short Life Cycles. Currently Tablets cost just enough to make it easy for a newbie to get hold of, but at the same time, the costs can rack up fast if a consumer attempts to keep pace with the shifting market.

There is a wild card that might change the balance of power in the Tablet vs PC war - the PS4.
    The New Sony Playstation 4 , due out in the US sometime in November, is expected to have Remote Play and Crossplatform apps.
    Cross Platform games/apps will enable users of the Playstation 4 to play online games versus PC/Laptop users who purchase the same game.
    In the past Gamers who had Playstation Only games could only play against other Playstation owners.
    This may keep Gamers using better hardware supported Computers, instead of shifting to Tablets.

Also, don't forget about the new curved glass technology which will basically enable manufacturers to create devices in any shape that can imagine and will note be limited to those flat glass fronts.
    This new tech will push these squarish tablets into the Old category and create yet another wave of new devices.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am

Mmmmm, curved touch glass - Cool.

Maybe there will be such a thing as a Crystal Ball or iBall as it may be known - I'm gone crazy...apologies.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I heard the PS4 is on the way, hard to find info, Secretive Sony won't release info.

Microsoft's XboX 360 are issuing some "Big" news in the few weeks.

More info to follow.
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

CKJ505 wrote:Mmmmm, curved touch glass - Cool.

Maybe there will be such a thing as a Crystal Ball or iBall as it may be known - I'm gone crazy...apologies.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I heard the PS4 is on the way, hard to find info, Secretive Sony won't release info.

Microsoft's XboX 360 are issuing some "Big" news in the few weeks.

More info to follow.

Microsoft has hinted at the xbox720 not being able to play used games... or should I say they will be blocked and require registration from the original purchaser in the first place.
    They have also hinted at not using any kind of Discs, and it being a download only machine.
    Regardless, if they keep messing with it they are going to sink the X box.

Maybe we need a Ybox, you plug it in and random music is created on the spot [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Fri May 03, 2013 4:29 am

Or the Ypod, set on random, it only plays Y created songs and you can link it into YTunes, most of all, it's totally free (for now).[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri May 03, 2013 5:12 am

You two should market me Laughing

I'd listen to a Ypod - but I don't think anybody else could Cool
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Fri May 03, 2013 7:27 am

Look what I found....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri May 03, 2013 8:27 am

Ok . trademarked already ...

How about 'I Rock Therefor i-Ym' (for the digital version of the cllected works of course.
    (It exists - it's just a username and a PW away Cool )

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:59 pm