Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

+3
Ymaginatif
maxim9691
Mace2theO
7 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10)

Post by Mace2theO Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:13 am

Maceo Musicology Webcast featuring the music of

New Orleans
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) MaceoPodcast6_NOLA-2

New Orleans is a major U.S. port and the largest city in the state of Louisiana.

New Orleans has always been a significant center for music, showcasing its intertwined European, Latin American, and African cultures. New Orleans' unique musical heritage was born in its pre-American and early American days from a unique blending of European instruments with African rhythms. As the only North American city to allow slaves to gather in public and play their native music (largely in Congo Square, now located within Louis Armstrong Park), New Orleans gave birth to an indigenous music: jazz. Soon, brass bands formed, gaining popular attraction that still holds today. The city's music was later significantly influenced by Acadiana, home of Cajun and Zydeco music, and Delta blues.

The terms "Mardi Gras" refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" (in ethnic English tradition, Shrove Tuesday), referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which started on Ash Wednesday. Popular practices included wearing masks and costumes, overturning social conventions, dancing, sports competitions, parades, etc.

The tradition has expanded to the point that it became strongly associated with the city in popular perception, and embraced by residents of New Orleans beyond those of French or Catholic heritage. Mardi Gras celebrations are part of the basis of the slogan, Laissez les bon temps rouler, (Let the good times roll) and the nickname "Big Easy". (wiki)

Read more:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jn2zmnmmmyy

Last edited by Mace2theO on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10)

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm

Was this that bad? Purpleblues, what's your secret?
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Personally I haven't listened to it yet, and I've really only listened to 2 minutes or so from both or PB's offerings.
    Someday I will get ahead of the actual work so that I can find some listening time.
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm

Of course, this from the guy who just got to Red Rose so thanks

....just saw all the responses to PB's posting and got that 'crisis of confidence'
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 am

Ow - how did I miss this one?!!!
    Sorry Maceo !! scared You must have posted it when I was having internet connection problems and had to log in again and again ... excuses excuses ...

Looks very promising - with a beautiful slice of artwork! :;jazz:
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 pm

And I listened to it this afternoon! - alone in the office Laughing

Great collection of surprisingly funky songs!! Of course, I should have expected, with Funkmeister Maceo having a hand in this, but somehow I had expected more of the mardi gras tinkly Allen Toussaint piano and clarinetty brass bands. Wrong again Laughing
    I love the breath-taking musicianship throughout and the funky tuba really made me smile (Elvis Costello once made a funk song with a tuba - I considered him out of his mind, but now I see what he was trying to do!)
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:42 pm

I actually had some Preservation Hall and AT on the original playlist (even Elvis C with Dirty Dozen Brass Band), but somehow the funk kept sneaking in 8)

Original cover
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) EntropyNewOrleansband-2

Thanks for checking it out Very Happy
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:30 am

Hey Maceo - us two taking care of the Tubas! That should be good!!! cheers

Elvis Costello and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band? 'That's How You Got Killed Before'??? OK, but not as good as the other stuff you put into the show!
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:30 am

I'm really digging it - now listening for the second time 8)
    What's that song Bonerama play? I really know it well, but I can't put my finger on it ... where do I know it from ???? (GREAT version by the way)
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:57 am

Was actually thinking about Chewing Gum from Spike re EC....also EC & Allen Toussaint live cut. Will just have use later Very Happy

Bonerama is covering Led Zep's 'Ocean'....love how the tubas & 'bones handle the "la la lalala la" in the middle Very Happy

Tuba Power :;jazz:
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:31 pm

very cool, it's like I was there..
    Love the Bonerama Zep cover.. gotta check them out.
    then to swing into Dr John, pure musical bliss of the highest order
    cool3 cool3 cool3
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:51 pm

Tonight I subjected this Podcast to the highly critical ears of Mrs Y ... affraid

You have to know, this is the very first podcast I've summoned the courage to do so! Maxim's podcasts might have been a bit too scary with the spooky voice, Purpleblues's might have been too bluesy, and I certainly wouldn't have played mine, because she would laugh outloud at my truly silly attempts at DJing. The Sound Of Scoop? Just not her style I think ...
    But this one, this exuberant slice of piano, brass, and guitars music, topped off with Maceo's cool late-night voice ... this one I thought she might appreciate?

I waited for the right moment ... somewhat tired after a busy but fullfilling day. Good mood. Hannah joyfully playing by herself. A glass of white wine and the salmon frying in the kitchen. A few candles on (because the lamp isn't working). I carefully put the ipod in its player ... scrolled down to the section 'Maceo' and clicked play ...

The intro raised a few eye-brows (I have to admit Laughing ), but when the piano suddenly came in and switched to a swinging version of 'When The Saints Go Marchin' In', I saw that everything was alright! Hannah started dancing along (while at the same time making a drawing) and ... Eva liked it.

Halfway through she even commented that she really liked the music - and that she thought Maceo's voice really sounded like a professional DJ's!
    Yes! Success!!! cheers
    I had to explain that Maceo *is*, in fact, a professional radio DJ, but that he chose to make the world a better place and changed careers.

Anyway – all this to say: this is a really good podcast! I keep listening to it, and it should be compulsary listening material for every single Entropy member here!

🐘
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:53 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:Tonight I subjected this Podcast to the highly critical ears of Mrs Y ... affraid

You have to know, this is the very first podcast I've summoned the courage to do so! Maxim's podcasts might have been a bit too scary with the spooky voice, Purpleblues's might have been too bluesy, and I certainly wouldn't have played mine, because she would laugh outloud at my truly silly attempts at DJing. The Sound Of Scoop? Just not her style I think ...
    But this one, this exuberant slice of piano, brass, and guitars music, topped off with Maceo's cool late-night voice ... this one I thought she might appreciate?

I waited for the right moment ... somewhat tired after a busy but fullfilling day. Good mood. Hannah joyfully playing by herself. A glass of white wine and the salmon frying in the kitchen. A few candles on (because the lamp isn't working). I carefully put the ipod in its player ... scrolled down to the section 'Maceo' and clicked play ...

The intro raised a few eye-brows (I have to admit Laughing ), but when the piano suddenly came in and switched to a swinging version of 'When The Saints Go Marchin' In', I saw that everything was alright! Hannah started dancing along (while at the same time making a drawing) and ... Eva liked it.

Halfway through she even commented that she really liked the music - and that she thought Maceo's voice really sounded like a professional DJ's!
    Yes! Success!!! cheers
    I had to explain that Maceo *is*, in fact, a professional radio DJ, but that he chose to make the world a better place and changed careers.

Anyway – all this to say: this is a really good podcast! I keep listening to it, and it should be compulsary listening material for every single Entropy member here!

🐘

I second that !!! condition of posting.. 8)
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:Tonight I subjected this Podcast to the highly critical ears of Mrs Y ... affraid

Yes! Success!!! cheers

🐘

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

You are too kind

btw, was only a DJ on college radio...professional implies you got paid Smile

seems "the older I get, the better I was" oldz
    jaytap
    jaytap

Post by jaytap Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks Maceo,
    no doubt this will be another epic listen for my ears later today.
    jaytap.
    jaytap
    jaytap

Post by jaytap Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:20 am

another masterpiece Maceo, just loving it right now.
    lately i have been so preoccupied here with work and the political situation that i forgot all about great music...
    thanks mate.
    jb.
    jaytap
    jaytap

Post by jaytap Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:44 am

just chillin' in Bangkok...
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:49 pm

jaytap wrote:just chillin' in Bangkok...
    Somebody caught the 'geographic' shout-outs Very Happy

Funk points for Jaytap!
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:54 pm

Mace2theO wrote:Maceo Musicology Webcast featuring the music of

New Orleans
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) MaceoPodcast6_NOLA-2

New Orleans is a major U.S. port and the largest city in the state of Louisiana.

New Orleans has always been a significant center for music, showcasing its intertwined European, Latin American, and African cultures. New Orleans' unique musical heritage was born in its pre-American and early American days from a unique blending of European instruments with African rhythms. As the only North American city to allow slaves to gather in public and play their native music (largely in Congo Square, now located within Louis Armstrong Park), New Orleans gave birth to an indigenous music: jazz. Soon, brass bands formed, gaining popular attraction that still holds today. The city's music was later significantly influenced by Acadiana, home of Cajun and Zydeco music, and Delta blues.

The terms "Mardi Gras" refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and ending on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras is French for "Fat Tuesday" (in ethnic English tradition, Shrove Tuesday), referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which started on Ash Wednesday. Popular practices included wearing masks and costumes, overturning social conventions, dancing, sports competitions, parades, etc.

The tradition has expanded to the point that it became strongly associated with the city in popular perception, and embraced by residents of New Orleans beyond those of French or Catholic heritage. Mardi Gras celebrations are part of the basis of the slogan, Laissez les bon temps rouler, (Let the good times roll) and the nickname "Big Easy". (wiki)

Read more:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?jn2zmnmmmyy

This bump is sponsored by the Tasty Squirrel Meat Corporation and produced for the Fatten-The-Funk-Gumbo-in-CKJ505's-Ears Group
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) 840942
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Mace2theO wrote:
    Mace2theO wrote:Maceo Musicology Webcast featuring the music of

New Orleans

This bump is sponsored by the Tasty Squirrel Meat Corporation and produced for the Fatten-The-Funk-Gumbo-in-CKJ505's-Ears Group
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) 840942

Will check this out tomorrow, still pickin' pieces of meat still stuck between my teeth.

I missed this one as it was before CK's induction into the Entropy Hall of Fame.

I will grab this, cook it and see what wonderful aromas come wafting out of the oven.

"This bump is sponsored by the Tasty Squirrel Meat Corporation and produced for the Fatten-The-Funk-Gumbo-in-CKJ505's-Ears Group" Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) 482452

Already we have motto of the year and it's only just February. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '10) 765994
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:02 am

dear me!

this shameless bumping had me thinking that Jaytap had returned to the fold?!! Embarassed
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:22 am

Ymaginatif wrote:dear me!

this shameless bumping had me thinking that Jaytap had returned to the fold?!! Embarassed

Where did Jaytap go ?
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Jaytap is very very busy with WORK!

He told me...and he told me also he want to try to hit the scene next time...!
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:49 am

hit the scene?

next time?

= by the next full moon Jaytap is becoming a Hollywood actor?

Laughing

too scoopish for me ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:31 pm