Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

4 posters

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11)

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) Empty Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11)

Post by Mace2theO Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:22 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast goes back to New Orleans
    ....in time for Mardi Gras

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 7e571fea

Come celebrate the indigenous music and culture of New Orleans and Louisiana, so the music encompasses every style associated with the city and the state: blues, R&B, funk, gospel music, Cajun music, zydeco, Afro-Caribbean, folk music, funk, country music, bluegrass and everything in between. And of course there is lots of jazz...and did I mention funk?
    afro
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1ph6jr48x96e2aj

Mardi Gras
    Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday in English) in New Orleans, Louisiana, is a Carnival celebration well-known throughout the world.

The New Orleans Carnival season, with roots in preparing for the start of the Christian season of Lent, starts after Twelfth Night, on Epiphany (January 6). It is a season of parades, balls (some of them masquerade balls), and king cake parties. It has traditionally been part of the winter social season; at one time "coming out" parties for young women at débutante balls were timed for this season.

Celebrations are concentrated for about two weeks before and through Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras in French), the day before Ash Wednesday. Usually there is one major parade each day (weather permitting); many days have several large parades. The largest and most elaborate parades take place the last five days of the season. In the final week of Carnival, many events large and small occur throughout New Orleans and surrounding communities.

The parades in New Orleans are organized by Carnival krewes. Krewe float riders toss throws to the crowds; the most common throws are strings of plastic colorful beads, doubloons (aluminum or wooden dollar-sized coins usually impressed with a krewe logo), decorated plastic throw cups, and small inexpensive toys. Major krewes follow the same parade schedule and route each year.

While many tourists center their Mardi Gras season activities on Bourbon Street and the French Quarter, none of the major Mardi Gras parades has entered the Quarter since 1972 because of its narrow streets and overhead obstructions. Instead, major parades originate in the Uptown and Mid-City districts and follow a route along St. Charles Avenue and Canal Street, on the upriver side of the French Quarter.

To New Orleanians, "Mardi Gras" specifically refers to the Tuesday before lent, the highlight of the season. The term can also be used less specifically the whole Carnival season, sometimes as "the Mardi Gras season". The term "Fat Tuesday" or "Mardi Gras Day" always refers only to that specific day.

For our 1st trip to New Orleans, please see http://www.entropymc.com/t1572-maceo-musicology-webcast-feb-10

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 800px-MondoKayo07StChasC

Thanks in advance to all 2.5 of you will listen Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994

purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) Empty Re: Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11)

Post by purpleblues1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:24 am

Synchronicity ... again.
    This month's "Uncut" magazine - a mere advert for Maceo's Podcasts... cool
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 0ca6u8n06 ( not sure this will work as is new Google Chrome extension.. looks good on my PC Smile

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) Mag_cover
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:40 am

Hey ho! A good old Maceo podcast! cheers

Returning to the theme that was already touched upon in one of the earlier episodes, which turned out to be one of my favorite ones, which needs another subclause, which makes this sentence even more unreadable, which is what I meant to do, which means I'm in 'that' mood again!
    which you people should have got used to by now! Laughing

Looking forward to this, Maceo!
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:00 am

I will expect to be "fattened" with a feed from this veritible feast that is currently in the oven.

Nearly done, just checking the temperature.
    Now to sit back, chew and enjoy. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 398410
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 am

swings like a sack of gumbo!!!!

sunny
    Love the Trombone Shorty vibe...
    and, all I can say is " Give Me some (more) horns
    cheers

A cold miserable day is transmuted into Mardi Gras... This we are liking stitch stitch stitch
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:13 am

purpleblues1 wrote:swings like a sack of gumbo!!!!

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 840942
    Love the Trombone Shorty vibe...
    and, all I can say is " Give Me some (more) horns
    Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 344941

A cold miserable day is transmuted into Mardi Gras... This we are liking Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 561201 Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 561201 Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 561201

3 responses!?!? Sales have passed expectations by 20% (up from 2.5)!! Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 482452

To quote Ymaginatif from his last review, " I expected more of the mardi gras tinkly Allen Toussaint piano and clarinetty brass bands. Wrong again " - well this time you're correctMaceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994

PB, I have been sitting on the Trombone Shorty album since last summer (used Trombone Shorty and Lenny cut on June '10 podcast). Given 'On Your Way Down' had Allen T actually playing on it, I had to hold it for this NOLA show. As I know you also discovered the album, I lived in fear it would pop up on one of your shows.

Also, cool that you found the Uncut tie-in Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994 ,although more to do with Mardi Gras around the corner, but lets pretend its due to the podcast.

CK, get ready for some gumbo as you get 'fattened' Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 72077
    purpleblues1
    purpleblues1

Post by purpleblues1 Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:24 am

PB, I have been sitting on the Trombone Shorty album since last summer (used Trombone Shorty and Lenny cut on June '10 podcast). Given 'On Your Way Down' had Allen T actually playing on it, I had to hold it for this NOLA show. As I know you also discovered the album, I lived in fear it would pop up on one of your shows.

PB podcast 14 is now being reprogrammed
    ''' but have some great live stuff from him that might get an airing.. as well as Allen Toussaint with the Dap kings.... if anyone is interested tickle
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:36 am

purpleblues1 wrote:

PB podcast 14 is now being reprogrammed
    ''' but have some great live stuff from him that might get an airing.. as well as Allen Toussaint with the Dap kings.... if anyone is interested Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 920794

Live stuff from T.S., Allen and Dap Kings? Count me in Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 754535
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 492812 Whoooa! What a feed.

I am gumbo bloated.

Really great podcast Maceo, smooth flow running through with requests for the members.

I think Pb hit the nail with Trombone Shorty, "On your way down" : smooth funky track with wonderful horns. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 932883
    I also liked George Porter Jr. rendition of "Josephine", bass with funky piano. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 1844
    That would be more like my type of music. You just can't beat a great funky number. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 130610

A big thumbs up from camp CK! Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 72077

I just burned myself a big "Fat" copy of this for the journey home.

I'm going to dig in again on full volume.
    I could do with throwing on a few more pounds. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994
    This podcast is tastier than squirrel meat.Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 713342
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 pm

CKJ505 wrote:Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 492812 Whoooa! What a feed.

I am gumbo bloated.

Really great podcast Maceo, smooth flow running through with requests for the members.

I think Pb hit the nail with Trombone Shorty, "On your way down" : smooth funky track with wonderful horns. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 932883
    I also liked George Porter Jr. rendition of "Josephine", bass with funky piano. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 1844
    That would be more like my type of music. You just can't beat a great funky number. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 130610

A big thumbs up from camp CK! Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 72077

I just burned myself a big "Fat" copy of this for the journey home.

I'm going to dig in again on full volume.
    I could do with throwing on a few more pounds. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994
    This podcast is tastier than squirrel meat.Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 713342

Thanks CK Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 482452. So glad you enjoyed it. I was trying to make this one different from the first one. Check that one out as well if you have a need for mo' gumbo

What I love about the George Porter Jr track is that it's just piano, bass and drums delivering that funky groove! The Trombone Shorty album has some very cool funky tracks

...might have to design a podcast to accommodate more of the jazz funk stuff CK likes Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 676778
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:01 pm

As I am on the wrong side, the way wrong side of 30, I am leaning towards the jazz side of funk.

It's hard to put a finger on what funk is, but jazz funk makes me feel good, it's smooth and free, simpler chords with solid chord progressions.
    I must give that Porter track a listen again, the piano is addictive. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 1844
    By the way, my drive home was great. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 883369

Volume 50, result = Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 763573
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:25 pm

CKJ505 wrote:As I am on the wrong side, the way wrong side of 30, I am leaning towards the jazz side of funk.

It's hard to put a finger on what funk is, but jazz funk makes me feel good, it's smooth and free, simpler chords with solid chord progressions.
    I must give that Porter track a listen again, the piano is addictive. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 1844
    By the way, my drive home was great. Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 883369

Volume 50, result = Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 763573

If you are on the "way wrong side of 30", than I am on way wrong side of your way wrong side affraid

Glad you enjoyed the funk Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 840942
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:00 am

Listened to it and loved it! cheers

Yes - a rainy day, bus not turning up, daughter ill, hungry ... but this little podcast cheered me up!
    Amazing how, 19 podcasts in, you still come up with some beautiful material and breath-taking musicianship, that sounds like the crown jewels of somebody's collection?!!

thanks for the shoutout - yes, that person almost sang as badly as me! Laughing Or was it the tuba you were thinking of?
    Sneaking Sally Through The Alley I only knew in a Ringo Starr version?! (and what did it have to do with CK? Suspect )
    and what about Mardi Gras Mambo? What is he saying about Paul McCartney? Just that they recorded with him ('My Carnival', which was released in 1985)? The chorus of this Mambo sounds so innocuous that it could have been written by him?! But I don't think that's true?

I love bonustracks! All things in life should have a bonustrack! cheers
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Ymaginatif wrote:Listened to it and loved it! cheers

Yes - a rainy day, bus not turning up, daughter ill, hungry ... but this little podcast cheered me up!
    Amazing how, 19 podcasts in, you still come up with some beautiful material and breath-taking musicianship, that sounds like the crown jewels of somebody's collection?!!

thanks for the shoutout - yes, that person almost sang as badly as me! Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 765994 Or was it the tuba you were thinking of?
    Sneaking Sally Through The Alley I only knew in a Ringo Starr version?! (and what did it have to do with CK? Suspect )
    and what about Mardi Gras Mambo? What is he saying about Paul McCartney? Just that they recorded with him ('My Carnival', which was released in 1985)? The chorus of this Mambo sounds so innocuous that it could have been written by him?! But I don't think that's true?

I love bonustracks! All things in life should have a bonustrack! cheers

Glad you like it Maceo Musicology Webcast (Feb '11) 482452

Perhaps only you can appreciate how I was trying to make #2 different from the 1st NOLA show, so glad you heard some things you liked. Your shoutout is for Paul Sanchez, who is a leading songwriter-artist in New Orleans today. The cut is from his 2008 album, produced by Soul Asylum’s Dave Pirner. And yes, he wrote a song using a tuba...hopefully that will inspire you to write more horn parts

CK got "Sneakin' Through the Alley" as thought he may recognize one of the covers by Robert Palmer or Ringo....now I know he is into jazz funk!

And the bonus track was for you indeed (hidden Beatles reference in many podcasts) - The Meters has just recorded with him, and they were just acknowledging it on stage - he wasn't there and didn't write Mardi Gras Mambo.

Thanks Y

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:21 pm