Entropy Music Club

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Entropy Music Club

Entropy Music Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

True Funk Soldiers

5 posters

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight

Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight Empty Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight

Post by Mace2theO Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 73643902

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight D5f8fb8ais a British multi-instrumentalist musician, born in north London, UK, in the late 1960s. He started in the music business touring with a progrock band. In 1986 he began performing as Sh*riff J*ck, releasing two albums of psychedelia music. As LT, he released his self-titled album in 1996. This album showcases a departure from psychedelia towards Neo soul.

In June 2006, LT retired from music. However, as Andrew T, he remains active in the music industry. LT has since been musical director and bass player for Gnarls Barkley, and guitarist/backing vocalist for [several UK bands].

That is essentially all that is on wiki.

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 921ee241

It leaves out much of his recording career as LT has did "one the most amazing disappearing act known to man", took down his old website, closed the fansite, removed all videos from youtube and most of his music from the internet, quite successfully I might add. This guy is better than all of Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 1228007915's guys put together.

What happened?
    On the release of his 1996 debut album, LT was lauded as, among other things, the lastest inheritor of the blue-eyed soul savoir mantle. Most singers would have been flattered, but LT kicked hard against it. His label (Island) did not seem to know how to handle or properly promote the music of their "precociously talented" new artist, and an album that was "an unprecedented amalgamation of soul, groove-based psychedelica and rock". LT retreated to his bedroom to craft his meticulously overdubbed solo masterworks, releasing three albums on his own label. The results "blended prog rock and soft soul in dense, wedding-cake arrangements iced with layer upon layer of falsetto harmonies." After the US release of one of his cds and an aborted tour, he publicly announced his 'retirement' in 2006 via his now shut-down website, and has not released anything since. (wiki/cinemablend/independent/chrispickering)

However, he reappeared on a Deborah Bond single in 2011, and that sent me back to his cds. I have never heard of, but I thank her for bringing him back into the studio

To describe his music, I refer to a review by Rolling Stone and New York Times music critic (and Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 1228007915 reviewer) Jon Pareles from a 2006 LT show:
    "LT is a throwback to the one-man studio bands of the analog 1970's: songwriters like Todd Rundgren, Stevie Wonder, Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 1228007915 and Paul McCartney. He skews half a dozen once-disparate 1970's styles to his own whims. Among them are smooth soul, psychedelia, progressive rock and blues-rock, any of which might show up in the course of songs that can change drastically between beginning and end.

As a pop craftsman, LT has reverse-engineered the music he loves: not just to emulate it, but also to graft unlikely combinations. A pounding, zigzagging prog-rock riff gave way to an aching ballad and a spiraling wah-wah guitar solo; a pop love song detoured into chromatic chords or started hopping upward, repeatedly changing key."

I hope this webcast interest at least one person to find out more and go buy his one of his cds, which you can find also on itunes and amazon. Support the artist

EDITORS NOTE - we won't type his name so as to avoid search engines. If I'm lucky enough for anyone to listen and comment, please use "LT" - Thx

Code:

http://www.mediafire.com/?en6smm9b9f4lble

Last edited by Mace2theO on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight Empty Re: Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight

Post by maxim9691 Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:08 pm

I'll be listening because not long ago I went searching for some of his albums and came up with nothing but air.
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight Empty Re: Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight

Post by Mace2theO Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 pm

maxim9691 wrote:I'll be listening because not long ago I went searching for some of his albums and came up with nothing but air.

He's been known to post on blogs that put up his music..at he did the 1st few years before hiring lawyers. the amazon uk mp3 store allows you to preview much of the released stuff
    maxim9691
    maxim9691

Post by maxim9691 Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Mace2theO wrote:
    maxim9691 wrote:I'll be listening because not long ago I went searching for some of his albums and came up with nothing but air.

He's been known to post on blogs that put up his music..at he did the 1st few years before hiring lawyers. the amazon uk mp3 store allows you to preview much of the released stuff

I'll have a look about then - Am listening to Stoned PT1 via Mace2theO at the moment
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:58 am

Ooh, I almost didn't see this one!

Fortunately, I subconsciously realised that there must be a new Maceo podcast, and went looking for it! Laughing

It's on my list now!
    Mace2theO
    Mace2theO

Post by Mace2theO Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Bump Bump Bump Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 482452

New version now up - 2 song changes (due to recent aquisitions)
    CKJ505
    CKJ505

Post by CKJ505 Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Mace2theO wrote:Bump Bump Bump Maceo Musiciology Webcast #29 - Artist Spotlight 482452

New version now up - 2 song changes (due to recent aquisitions)

Only borrowing now......this guy LT sounds cool by what I have actually read in text.

Report due in a day or so. Idea
    Ymaginatif
    Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:14 am

Ymaginatif wrote:

It's on my list now!

It seems I have lost my to-do list!!
    Good thing you reminded me!
    fkkScoop
    fkkScoop

Post by fkkScoop Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:23 am

Ah....L..............T................!
    Know him for over 10 years... Laughing

But didn´t know that he retired...just thought after the Lost Album he NOW play Prog and form a band or something like that....didn´t know before that he came from Prog!
    (Btw: didn´t like[d] the last one...but will check again....)
    But thanks for the reminder and the nosedipping (is this a word?)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 5:46 am